on Mommy's Birthday

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

We're not the type who would sit and have photo ops.
This is one photo to capture our moms bday.
 My kuya works in Algiers, he scheduled his vacation  in time for that special day.

Actual cases of the people you know. You’re not really into science. You’re into these old beliefs.
These are the bases that most of the time, the date people die is somewhat close to the date they were born.
It is my written rule not to write about how my mother died. Well, she lost the battle with breast cancer almost 11 years ago. Today, July 18 is her birthday which is few days away from the date we lost her (August 4).

For years now, we would celebrate her birthdays together with snack or dinner. We visit her to the memorial park. Back when she was around, I can’t remember any memorable gift I gave her. I’m sure I have, I just can’t remember. Celebrations were mostly in her office. There were surprises given to her – and there were as gross as Miss Gay participated by her employees. She had her 60th birthday celebration which is quite bongga. On her last, we somehow had a clue that it will be her last. It was celebrated at home with our closest relative.

Today, we’re all together this whole day. My brother is here for vacation which he intentionally saved the date. I have been on official business for days, which I finished the task early to have this as free day. I’m not sure about my sister, she’s sick but had she not been, I think she’ll still be home for today. As for daddy, this is the first time he’s not with us on this day. If not, kinukulit na niya kami.. “oh maaga pa lang nasa memorial na ako, anu oras kyo pupunta? Anung pagkain natin?”

I grew up imbibing superstitions and old beliefs. I’m not into science courtesy of how dad thinks. By the way his date of death is very distant from his birthday – November and March. Still, I have concrete stand on few things. That these things will always be relevant to us, no matter how many years have gone by. Much more, these days will always be good excuses to be sad and be sentimental.

It’s just that I live with few regrets. Mas madali na akong pakatanhin in public ngayon. It is not as hard when we were young and had to be pushed to perform on my mother’s birthday celebrations.   

0 comments: